Friday, January 7, 2011

01/07/11 What Students Don't Learn Abroad

Ben Feinberg's article encompassed much of my own traveling experience. Tho traveling often has an impact and changes perceptions about ourselves, it isn't simply about us. Going abroad to study different cultures is about gaining understanding the culture. The mistake a lot of individuals make when traveling abroad, is going with the mindset of how they can change that culture to fit their own ideals. The reality of what a place is and the reality of what we believe it to be are two very different things.
A few years ago I went abroad to live in England. I went with this image in my head of what it would be like. The image was a very romanticized view, embellished by the media as well as my own imagination. Not only was it my view of England that was misconstrued, but also my view of how my interactions with England would be. I believed that my experience would be similar to what movies and T.V. shows portrayed. These miscontrued perceptions soon dissipated. After living there for several months my vision began to clear. I began to see the raw sarcastic, depressed, romantic, and historical England. It was this fuller view and understanding that led me to really fall in love with England.
It is not totally possible to separate our own life experience from our travel experience. However, I do think that it is important to seek after the truth about a culture and really try to understand it when we go abroad by examining its different sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment