Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Learning Journal "Cultural Value Orientations"

I do agree with the author that it is important to understand the cultural values. Furthermore, it is important to retain where you're coming from so there can be a valid comparison with the culture. That is how we learn is through comparison. It is important that as we're doing field work that we don't try to force our opinions or values on these individuals we're studying. I can see that this is important for my own field work, because I will be dealing with sensitive issues that many people have strong opinions on.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that we should not try to force our opinions or values on the individuals we are studying. I also wonder that even though we may have differing opinions/values when would it be appropriate to voice them? What situations should we stay silent and which situations should we do what our opinions/values dictate us into action to do. I understand that we are going into a place, a culture, a society that works and functions in ways that we may not be used to. I also understand that we are coming in as strangers and perhaps even as intruders so we should be as respectful and mild as needed. But will there ever be a time that our need to show respect is overruled by our need to voice a certain opinion/value or action that may be in opposition to the people we are working with? How do we find balance?

    ReplyDelete